A LONG HISTORY OF SUCCESS & INNOVATION

The Neil Kennedy Recovery Centers Timeline

1946
In 1946, Jack Deibel opened one of the nation's first facilities for the treatment of alcoholism. In 1947, Mr. Deibel turned this pioneering program over to the nonprofit Youngstown Committee on Alcoholism, and its founder and first Executive Director, Neil Kennedy.  Operating for years as the Alcoholic Clinic of Youngstown, the center later expanded its focus to include treatment of both alcohol and other drug dependencies, and added new programs and services. The Nation’s first private, freestanding, alcoholism treatment facility is opened on Lincoln Ave. in Youngstown OH, as a result of the effort and investment of Jack Deibel and the encouragement of Neil Kennedy. (Neil was a recovering alcoholic who started Youngstown‘s first AA group in 1939. Neil’s sponsor in AA was one of the fellowship’s co-founders Dr. Bob Smith).

1967
The Alcoholic Clinic of Youngstown moves from its original location to the site of its current main campus at 2151 Rush Blvd. in Youngstown. The new facility (one of the first in the nation to be built specifically for the purpose of treating alcoholics) opens debt free as a result of private contributions from the people of Youngstown.

1977
The Clinic expands its services to include residential rehabilitation services as well as detoxification services for alcoholic and other drug dependent people.

1978
The Clinic is certified by the Ohio Department of Health under its new standards for alcoholism treatment programs. It is also accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations. The organization starts a new program called Mahoning County Alcoholism Services and begins outpatient and preventive services with the assistance of public funds from the State of Ohio.

1983
The Clinic adds outpatient services for adolescents to its increasingly comprehensive continuum of care.

1986
The Clinic enters into a relationship with Western Reserve Healthcare system (now Forum Health) and together they open Adolescent Recovery Services, an inpatient treatment unit for chemically dependent adolescents at WRCS’s Northside Hospital. The Clinic’s outpatient unit is renamed Community Recovery Resource Center.

1987
With the support of the Youngstown Junior League, the clinic starts its Woman to Woman program, a gender-specific treatment continuum.

1989
The Clinic adds a new residential treatment wing to its main campus facility and expands its intensive outpatient services. Once again the people of Youngstown respond to a need and the new wing is opened debt free as result of generous private contributions. In this same year, the Clinic opens the Dick Riley Fellowship Hall, a facility that is home to over 25 Twelve Step meetings a week and acts as a sober activity center for hundreds of recovery people.

1991
All clinic services are consolidated under a new name, the Neil Kennedy Recovery Clinic. This change honors the 1st director and spiritual founder of the clinic. Intensive outpatient and partial hospitalization services are expanded as residential rehab services shrink due to the impact of managed care.

1998
In another innovative collaboration, NKRC joins with Mahoning County Juvenile Court to create a Juvenile Diversion Program at the Juvenile Justice Center. After consultation with Gateway Rehabilitation Center, a new GRC- style outpatient satellite is opened in Austintown, Ohio.

1999
In 1999, the Neil Kennedy Recovery Centers became a part of Gateway Rehab and added outpatient facilities in Austintown and Howland, Ohio. Today, treatment services are accredited by The Joint Commission and certified by Ohio Mental Health and Addiction Services. NKRC becomes a subsidiary of Gateway Rehab, one of the nation’s premier alcohol and other drug addiction treatment organizations. The affiliation brings together two pioneers in the addiction field and increases NKRC’s capacity to provide more services to more people.

2000
NKRC opens a second outpatient satellite in Howland, Ohio, expanding the outpatient services into Trumbull County. In this same year, NKRC becomes a primary partner with the Mahoning County Misdemeanor Drug court to provide treatment services for referral from that court.

2001
NKRC restructures its programming to provide gender-specific treatment tracks at its main campus site. The organization becomes a partner with a new Mahoning County Juvenile Drug Court to become a resource for outpatient adolescent treatment services for referrals from that court.

2007
The Emery House - Treatment capacity at NKRC’s Youngstown site is expanded by opening a boarding house for women who are being treated in the site’s day treatment (partial hospitalization) program.

2011
NKRC moves administrative and community services offices to its Austintown site.

2012
NKRC opens/expands its services for opiate-addicted people by adding a highly-structural recovery focused medication assisted treatment option for carefully selected, clinically appropriate patients.

2013
NKRC secures foundation funding and begins an implementation of Recovery Coaching services. Also in that year NKRC takes a leadership role in facilitation of SBIRT (Screening Brief Intervention & Referral to Treatment) initiatives in its service region.

2014
Jerry Carter retires as executive director of NKRC and Carolyn Givens assumes leadership. Gelbman House, a new recovery-supportive housing unit, is opened.

2015
NKRC breaks ground on Doc's Place, an additional recovery-supportive housing unit that will open in early 2016. NKRC changes name to Neil Kennedy Recovery Centers.